When deciding whether your facility should invest in automated dispensing machines, the following should be considered
- Patient specific transactions recorded with date and time stamp.
- Inventory list and quantities available up to date by report.
- Expiration date tracking available by report.
- Ability to add dispensing warnings for specific medications.
- Controlled substance tracking and witness documentation.
- Significant upfront costs for the machine(s), installation, and training.
- Staff member(s) must be trained to replenish medications within the machine and troubleshoot problems.
- It does require maintenance of the medication lists within the database, user access, and any restrictions applied to the medications.
- Some practice sites could work efficiently without the machine using tackle boxes/kits.